Imagine Winnipeg’s riverfront as a connected series of green spaces and activities that draw people to the river’s edge…...a pleasant and accessible place, a desirable place to play, work and live.
River City Connections is a joint planning initiative launched by The Forks Renewal Corporation and the City of Winnipeg, with financial support from the Province of Manitoba, to develop a vision for Winnipeg’s riverfront.
Winnipeg is a river city and the riverfront is a one-of-a-kind environment that should reflect our city’s image of itself. The ultimate goal is to have a vision for the riverfront that makes it a place where people want to be…the vision is about creating the city of the future, today.
The 20 year vision to take us into the next decades is intended to:
- celebrate Winnipeg as a “river city“;
- provide connectivity along our riverfront;
- inspire new riverfront development;
- guide new development by type and quality; and
- protect the riverfront.
In essence, the vision will give the riverfront back to the public, and ensure our riverfront neighbourhoods reconnect people to the natural attributes of a continuous and publicly accessible landscape.
The geographic scope of the 20 year vision includes six precincts (and connections to Kildonan, St.Vital and Assiniboine parks):
- Point Douglas, Archibald & Elmwood;
- Exchange District & North St. Boniface;
- St. Boniface & The Forks;
- Riverview & Norwood;
- Assiniboine & Osborne Village; and
- Armstrong's Point & Wellington Crescent.
The planning exercise is scheduled for completion in fall 2012 at which time a final vision document will be completed and the River City Connections Planning Group will seek official endorsement of the report by the City of Winnipeg.